While refactoring a business solution at work to deploy using Visual Build rather than InstalShield, I ran into an issue with our DevExpress web components not seeing the correct licenses in the licenses.licx file. After googling for a bit and discovering how the licenses.licx files are created and manged in VS2010, I started troubleshooting to see if I could resolve my issue - seeing the red text on every web page telling me that I'm using a 'trial' edition of the software when I clearly wasn't.
I deleted the file to get VS to recreate it. That didn't seem to work for me. I renamed it. I checked permissions on it. I investigated how it got deployed and whether I needed it on the server or not (if I remember correctly, you don't have to explicitly move it to the server). In the end, my solution sort of knocked my socks off. I deleted all of the content in the file and left it blank. I then built my msi and deployed. Imagine my surprise when the blank licenses.licx file got rid of my trial license message! I don't know if this is a bug with VS2010 or it's integration with DevExpress 8.2.2, but my fix seemed like a total hack. However we've tested this in multiple environments and it's solid.