A couple of weeks ago I programmed a DB load process that ran off a cron job. It ftp-ed data files from a public box to a local one, and then loaded the data based on .dat files that were extracted from the download, and .CTL files already on hand. I assumed this process worked correctly because every time I ran it manually it worked, and when I started it using cron, it 'looked' like it workded. It turned out that when it ran off the cron, it didn't do everything I wanted it to do. I set about debugging this today, and it turned out that my problem was very similar to my PLSQL problem from earlier this week.
Part of the Load process used a java program to created create the .dat files. The java worked fine when I ran it manually because the user I was running it with had JAVA_HOME set in it's profile. Cron runs differently. Even though my cron job su's to the proper user, doing the same thing manually and then checking with a 'who am i' command (which, by the way, gets different results than a 'whoami' command) returns a surprise. It's not my su'ed user. Adding JAVA_HOME into the script that gets run solved the problem.
Been looking at graphing solutions for a little thing I'm working on. GDchart seems usable. I might do some more work with it on Tuesday next week. FusionCharts seems very interesting as well. I've worked with Cewolf and JFreeCharts in the past, but I need something quicker right now.
Picked up a book called Th!nk off the discount shelf at Cole's today. I'm liking it so far. It's something of a rebuttal to another book called Blink!.